Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Scary

People have told me that they are their eating disorder. I am not my eating disorder. I am so much more than that. People do not really ask me about it. I assume it is because they don't care, but maybe that is not the case? I really am not sure.

Eating disorders are a big secret. Hush hush. That is why so many of them go undiagnosed. They are something that needs to be talked about. Talked about in schools, at the workplace, and at home. People die from eating disorders. Die.

Karen Carpenter... died of heart failure due to her Anorexia
Christy Henrich... died of multiple organ failure due to her Anorexia
Ana Carolina Reston... died at age 21 from complications due to her ED
Melissa Booth... died at age 17 due to her Bulimia she had only a few months
Amy Gretner... died in her sleep at age 15 from Anorexia and Bulimia
Elisa McCall... committed suicide to try to escape her ED
Kristen Watt... died in her sleep at age 14 due to heart failure
Shelby Starner... died from a stroke due to her Bulimia
Ana Westin... died directly from her Anorexia

This is only to list a small amount of those of have died from this illness. Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness. Scary. It is nothing to be quiet about. Silence really can kill.

1 comments:

battleinmind said...

It's true, you aren't your eating disorder. And I totally agree to people talking about eating disorders and it not being such a taboo subject.


That list was scary. Mainly because I know how awful they must of felt, and how incredibly awful it is they died.


xxx

Post a Comment