Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Flower Power


Here is my new activity. I sat down with a blank sheet of paper and a box of 16 Crayola crayons. I was feeling a bit like I was in 1st grade again. My goal was to express my feelings in a picture without using any words. I could draw anything from a dog to the ocean. I chose a flower. The reason I chose a flower is because a flower has many different parts, as do I. A flower has the stem, the petals, and the roots. I feel as though I have many different parts too. I have myself. Me. Marissa. Then I have my ED. Then I have my family. My Mom. Dad. Sister. I also have my boyfriend. My best friend.

Now for the colors. I colored the stem darker green at the bottom and lighter as I got to the top of the flower. I did this because I feel as though I have a part of me deep down inside that is dark. That is hurting, sad, and mad. The petals of the flower are outlined dark and lightly shaded inside. I did this because I feel as though I have a tough outer shell. I do not like to show my feelings. The dark outline symbolizes that. I picked bright colors because I like to be silly, funny, and sarcastic! But notice I do have 2 petals that are brown and black. These again symbolize that darker side of me and my ED. The center of the flower is purple because that is my favorite color :D One petal is red and pink and that represents love because I have a lot of love surrounding me and a lot of love to give. Another petal is green and yellow. This represents home. Home is where the heart is.

After completing this and taking a look at it, I noticed that I drew 10 petals. Not 9. Not 7. But 10. I am not sure what this means, but it is interesting. I also noticed that everything is perfectly colored and there is nothing that goes outside of the lines. This is the perfectionist coming out in me. I need to work on this part of myself. Finally I noticed that the base of the stem is wider than the top of the stem. I think I did this because I feel as though I have a solid base to live off of, but sometimes I feel like I am weak, not good enough, and a disappointment.

Now it is your turn! I enjoyed this. It took 15 minutes and I really had to reflect on how I feel and what I wanted to convey with my drawing.

5 comments:

Sairs said...

I guess you have to live each day like it is your last and let tomorrow come when it will. There is no point in rushing it, just enjoy each day as it is. If you are really worried about your future, maybe make a few goals and work towards them. I know I worried a lot about being in a certain place by a certain time when I was younger and even though I didn't get to where I am now until I was older than I hoped, I am happy and I am glad for the journey to get here. Sometimes you have to learn things along the way to make you ready to move to your 'tomorrow'. Don't rush, enjoy today :)
~Sarah~

Anonymous said...

I do this too (especially since I'm at a crossroads in my life right now regarding career. I'm leaving my job of 9 years and under really bad circumstances). I have regrets. I've felt lost. But I've also gotten some amazing opportunities that I feel just plain lucky about. So try not to put so much pressure on yourself, because you just never know what's around the corner -- it could be something amazing.

Anonymous said...

Hm, just a suggestion but could you add the date header to your posts? It's really hard to navigate without it showing the date. Just my 2c!

Anonymous said...

Also I think I commented on the wrong post because I'm confused about this layout (and I am really familiar with blogger). Ahhhh, OK, I'll quit commenting now. ;)

Jennifer said...

I have the same worries, I want a "normal, typical" life. I have the bad habit of telling myself that I'm a failure because at my age (30 this Friday) I should be married, I should have an amazing job, I should be going to grad school, having kids, buying my first home, etc. Everyone keeps telling me that there is no such thing as normal, everyones lives take a different path for a reason. I'm finally starting to accept this and the result is that I can breathe a little more freely. We put way too much pressure on ourselves, sometimes it's important to remind yourself that each of our paths takes us on our own unique journey and that's ok.

Post a Comment