Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Changes?

Tonight I feel like crap. I have a horrible headache and get random cold and hot flashes. I am exhausted and just feel like sleeping. I guess that is what I get for not taking care of myself. Anyways....

Something that I have been reading about is that eating disorders are very much linked to genetics. This is something that people really never think about. I get comments all the time about how having an eating disorder is a choice and if I wanted to get better I would just eat. This frustrates me because who the hell would choose to have an ED? Who would want to be sad, angry, sick, and depressed all the time? Beats me. Now research shows that eating disorders are very much similar to mental disorders such as Bipolar. This is very interesting since this information could potentially change many many things in the eating disorder world, like insurance coverage and treatment methods. It is also interesting how an ED can be passed from generation to generation. I was asked in therapy once if there was a history of eating disorders in my family and I said no. My therapist at the time replied, "There is. They just don't know it." This totally makes sense and is true. I then worry about passing an ED on to my children or passing on personality traits that can contribute to an ED. I am curious though, to see where this genetic research goes and what does happen. I am hoping for good things and more treatment options someday.

0 comments:

Post a Comment